Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Extreme Makeover Me Edition Beginning



This will be my first week doing the Extreme Makeover Me Edition (EMME) that Amber hosts on her site.  I am excited and hope that I will be able to keep it up each week.  I really enjoy reading what other people doing this challenge have to write every week. 

I would like to make this about more than just body image and getting back into shape.  I want to get my psyche back into shape too.  I am a happy person for the most part.  I am a little high strung at times though and neurotic (as my mom likes to tease me about).  I am trying to make it a priority to step back and smell the roses more often.  I also need to do more for me, I know this would make me a better mommy.

My biggest goal physically is to get back to running like I was when I was not pregnant and at the beginning of this pregnancy.  I am not in a huge rush to get the weight off (don't get me wrong, I DO want it gone) since I am breastfeeding and don't want to compromise that success with losing the weight too fast.  

I will be running my second half marathon November 8th and really need to get into training for this.  The first time I ran this was when I was 19 weeks pregnant and I was on top of the world when I crossed the finish line in under 2 1/2 hours.  I am hoping to get into good enough shape to run it in 2 hours this time, we will see.  I ran most of my pregnancy but then had about 9 weeks off due to having a c-section.  Boy has it been hard to get back into the running.  I could not believe how out of shape 9 weeks can make you!  So I have been taking baby steps and am back to running on the treadmill.  I ran 3 miles yesterday in just over 30 minutes.  It was a great run and felt really good.  Running is my time to be me and a time to actually hear my own thoughts.  My goal this next week is to run 4 times on the treadmill and once outside.  I would also like to get in a couple of strength training sessions, I am really lazy when it comes to this and I know how much I would benefit from doing these exercises 

I am not one to really do well with dieting.  I like carbs.  No, I LOVE carbs.  One thing I plan on getting under control this week is the candy eating that has gotten out of hand.  I know that I get enough water when at work, but the weekends are a different story.  I have to do better with drinking enough while running after the monkeys.

I have about 15 pounds to go till pre-pregnancy weight is achieved.  I have sort of stalled for the past few weeks, but I do feel a difference in the way my pants fit.  

This week's topic was to share vacation survival strategies.  I can't say that I have any, other than packing snacks to take with us on our road trips.  I have always just figured vacation meant I could take a vacation from everything, including healthy eating.  I do try to make a conscious effort to eat plenty of fruits and veggies along with the junk, and I do make sure my kids are not overloading on sugar.


12 comments:

Lerin said...

Welcome to EMME! I am glad to meet you. :)

I'm a breastfeeding mommy to two... my newborn, and pumping 25oz of the milk per day for a friend's baby. I know I can't lose the weight too fast like you mentioned... but it is hard to be patient!

Connie said...

YAY!!! Shanna is joining the club!

Note to all EM:ME friends. I love this gal! I have been reading her for a while and she is awesome! I am completely in awe that she ran a half marathon while pregnant and she is my inspiration!

Shanna! You are doing great! I know you will be able to run in 2 hours in November. Keep up the good work!

J.J. said...

I love that you are going to get back at the running! you sound like a running stud-ette! Man running a half at 19 weeks pg? Awesome! I am training to run my first this fall! I still love the Monkey's on your blog!!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Welcome and good luck. I like that you're pacing yourself and that your (adorable!) monkeys are #1. Half marathon while pregnant? Dang.

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Glad you joined in here. I wish I would have been smart and taken my body in my hands when I had each of my children but I didn't therefor I am now paying for it with my youngest being 8. Keep up the great work. Sounds like you got a great plan going. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Kenlie said...

Patience is tough, but it sounds like you're doing well!

Amber Filkins said...

Welcome!! It's SO good to meet you! I love your blog!

I am SUPER impressed that you ran a half marathon at 19 weeks pregnant. I just had to go tell my husband that I was so impressed, lol. You are SO inspirational! I have been trying to run lately. I have never been very good at it. I breathe wrong, lol. Maybe you can share all your running tips.

So excited to have you joining in, and it's so nice to meet you!

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Shanna, You asked about music suggestions for on your iPod. I use a lot of the music my son (16)listens to. There is techno, Black Eyed Peas and some AC/DC. I personally like to listen to Lady GaGa, Pitbul, Shaggy and Fergie. The songs have a great fast pace. Now the language isn't always the best so if you can get the radio or edited version it is blocked out.
What do you listen to? I would love more suggestions from you too!
Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Ally Wasmund said...

I'm a newbie to EM:ME this week too! Sweet.

That's cool you are doing a HM this Fall. Good luck with your training!

I'm a newbie runner. I started the Couch to 5K plan in January and ran my first 5K in May. I'm hooked. I love it!

Sarahviz said...

Great post!

I just started running again (see the ticker on my blog?) and am contemplating doing another 1/2 marathon in the fall.

Jen said...

Welcome, Shanna - glad you're joining EM:ME. Sounds like you're being very wise about your approach. It's helpful to see weight loss and healthy eating as a lifelong goal, not just a short-term effort, and it sounds like you have your sights on the right thing. Looking forward to reading more.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

Welcome to EMME Shanna! Amber has the best group of girls. They're all really nice and so generous with their support.

Good luck this week!

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo