Thursday, September 17, 2009

I've got a feeling

I belong to a Mardi Gras society here in the deep south.  I think this is my 5th or 6th year doing and it is usually lots of fun.  We ride in a parade the week before the actual Mardi Gras.  Our season lasts several weeks beginning some time in January and running until midnight on Fat Tuesday.  My favorite part is the ride.  It is SO much fun throwing junk at people and it is amazing how excited they all get... even the adults!  

After the parade we have a huge ball that takes up the civic center downtown.  Lots of food, booze beverages, music, and revelry to be had that night.  You may remember I was pretty far along in my pregnancy with littlest monkey last Mardi Gras and could not ride.  And then had to endure being sober, swollen, tired, and cranky with a bunch of drunks around.  I still had a resemblance of a good time but am looking forward to the ride this year.
 
So why am I talking about this so far out from the February ride?  Because tonight is our costume showcase!!  We get together and each float has a model show up dressed in the costume we will be wearing for this year's parade.   Up until now, it is supposed to be a secret between our board members and ball chairmen.  I have to admit the secret has been let out and I am a little nervous about the theme and costume.  

Costume showcase usually starts up the exciting buzz about the big night.  My good friend (she is also a member) will be coming into town and I am even more excited to see her.  I will be taking pictures so I may let you all in on the sneak preview too!

1 comment:

Connie said...

That sounds like so much fun!