Monday, June 8, 2009

Prefontaine Classic

Yesterday big monkey and I watched a bit of the Prefontaine Classic.  It was amazing watching these magnificent runners doing what they do best.  I was thrilled that big monkey had no desire to change the channel to a kid's show, he was really into watching the track and field events.  
I was inspired and decided that today was going to be the day for me to get my sneakers back on and jump on the treadmill.  I brought my gym clothes and ipod and low expectations.  I was nervous.  Mostly I knew I wanted to be at the fitness level I was when I ran my half marathon in the middle of my pregnancy and I knew I would be disappointed.  
With no excuses left, I pumped some milk for littlest monkey so I could fit into my sports bra, and left for the gym with the girls from work.  It was amazingly better than I thought.  I wanted to just get some running in so I started off at a slow jog and ended up running 20 minutes at a slow pace.  I am very excited and could feel the energy and excitement building during the run.  I kept pushing the speed up a level every 2 minutes and felt great.  I could feel the fatigue and strain on my muscles which was exhilarating and at the same time worrisome because I know how sore I am going to be tomorrow!

1 comment:

Connie said...

I'm so happy that you got back to it!

Are you sore?